Shani Amavasya or Shani Jayanti is observed as the birthday of Lord Shani (Saturn).
Lord Shani needs no introduction. He is the most misunderstood deity. People fear him as he is known for being just and strict when it comes to giving you the fruits of your past life karmas, be it good or bad.
Saturn – Your Karmic Imprint.
Lord Shani is hailed as the Lord of Karma. The harsh and ultimate reality is that we are born to pay off our karmic debts, but we lose our way in the process and get way too attached. It is during these times that Saturn comes to our rescue to wake and shake us up. The way Saturn goes about his duty is not enjoyable, but it certainly is extremely effective.
Timings for Shani Amavasya or Shani Jayanti – 2022
New York, USA
29th May 2022
Amavasya Tithi begins 05:24 AM on 29th May and ends 07:29 AM on 30th May.
30th May 2022
Amavasya Tithi begins 02:54 PM on 29th May and ends 04:59 PM on 30th May.
30th May 2022
Amavasya Tithi begins 10:24 AM on 29th May and ends 12:29 PM on 30th May.
Rituals You Can Do on Lord Shani’s Birthday
- Meditate – This is the “BEST” and most “EFFECTIVE” remedy for Lord Saturn.
- Chant the simple Shani mantra – “Aum Shanescharaya Namah” 108 times.
- Honor the Sun God by in the morning by reciting the mantra “Aum Suryaya Namaha” 108 times or chant/listen to listening to the sacred hymn Sri Aditya Hrudayam on the Sattva Meditation and Mantras app. Aditya Hrudayam is a hymn to the Sun God Aditya. It was given to Lord Rama on the battlefield by Sage Agastya.
- Chant the mantra – Aum Namo Bhagavate Ramachandraya 108 times as the deity Lord Rama represents light and Shani represents darkness; light eradicates darkness.
- Donate to your favorite cause or help someone in need especially those that are less fortunate than you.
- If you have a Shivling – a stone or altar that represents Lord Shiva – you can offer Abhishek, an anointment with water and milk.
- If you’re able, you might choose to fast from sunrise to sunset. If not, it’s beneficial to avoid non-vegetarian food and stick to a light sattvic diet for the day.
- Respect your elders – this is the day to take care of people who are older than you and gain their blessings, as Shani rules the elders.
- Chant the Hanuman Chalisa, the hymn of forty verses. (The mystery behind Lord Hanuman and Saturn)
- Be righteous and avoid shortcuts and arrogance, as Saturn is the planet of humility.
- You can also perform the Shani Puja (“act of worship or devotion”) or visit a Shani Temple or Navgraha Temple near you.
- Here are some more tips to to keep Saturn happy: 17 ways to to please Saturn.
The Birth of Saturn – Lord Shani
Read more about the mythology behind the birth of Lord Shani: The birth of Saturn – Lord Shani – Cosmic Insights