Shani Amavasya or Shani Jayanti is observed as the birthday of Lord Shani (Saturn) according to Hindu mythology.
Lord Shani needs no introduction. He is the most misunderstood deity. People fear him as he is known for being just and strict when it comes to giving you the fruits of your past life karma be it good or bad.
Saturn – Your Karmic Imprint
Lord Shani (Saturn) is hailed as the Lord of Karma. The harsh and ultimate reality is that we are born to pay off our karmic debts, but we get lost in the process and get way too attached. It is at these times Saturn comes to our rescue to wake up and shakeup. The way Saturn goes about his duty is not enjoyable, but it certainly is extremely effective.
Things to do on Lord Shani’s birthday
- Worship the Sun God in the morning by reciting the mantra “Aum Ghrini Aryaman Aditya” 108 times or chanting/listening to Sri Aditya Hrudayam Stotram
- Spend some time doing Yoga and light stretching exercises
- Meditate – This is the “BEST” and most “EFFECTIVE” remedy for Lord Saturn.
- Chant the powerful Vishnu avatar mantra connected to Shani – “Aum Namo Bhagavate Akuparaya” 108 times
- Donate – Donate to your favorite cause or help someone in need especially those that are less fortunate than you.
- If you have a Shivling at home, you can offer Abhishek with water and milk.
- If you are able to, you can fast from sunrise or sunset. If you are unable to fast, you can avoid non-vegetarian food and stick to a sattvic diet for today.
- Respect your elders – This is the day to take care of people who are elder to you and gain their blessings.
- Chant the Hanuman Chalisa – The mystery behind Lord Hanuman and Saturn(Shani Dev) – Cosmic Insights
- Be Righteous and avoid Shortcuts and arrogance.
- Here are some more tips to please Saturn – 17 ways to please Saturn (Lord Shani) – Cosmic Insights
You can also perform the Shani Mudra today to honor Saturn.
Assume Shikhara Mudra with your left hand and Trishula Mudra with your right hand. Place the hands in front of your chest and stand in sama position (straight and elongated posture).
To denote the planet Saturn. This mudra, in its dynamic form, requires movement of the hands in a winding manner in front of the face.
The birth of Saturn – Lord Shani
Read more about the mythology behind the birth of Lord Shani