The first eclipse of the new cycle of Rahu and Ketu in Aries and Libra arrives with a partial Solar Eclipse in Aries – Bharani Nakshatra, on April 30th.
Solar Eclipses are powerful moments that signal new beginnings. The New Moon aligning close to the nodal axis and obscuring the Sun symbolizes the lunar emotional principle coming in front of the solar ego. As the Sun is swallowed up, one’s sense of identity is fragile. Feelings are more intense before and during the eclipse, and the inner world rules over the outer.
This opens up a powerful time for meditation, contemplation, prayer, mantras, japa and other spiritual practices. It is wise to look within, tune yourself to spiritual vibrations and avoid any materialistic pursuits like moving home, getting married, romantic proposals, financial transactions, high-value purchases or investments.
Though you might feel an urge to get on with business, this is not a favorable time to make any important decisions as you may not have clarity of mind. Be aware of heightened emotional tides. It’s easy to get carried away with the intense eclipse energy, but this time does not favor impulsivity or sudden reactions to ideas that take hold of you. You won’t always feel as driven and highly-strung as you do today.
This eclipse brings a fiery flavor with the Sun and Moon coming together in combustible, decisive Aries, signifying a new beginning where old conditions are swept away and left behind. Bharani’s name means ‘she who bears’ and its symbol, a vulva, suggests giving birth, either physically or by hatching plans and creative ideas.
Like that of a womb, this nakshatra has meanings of growth and changes that take place in hidden gestation, which are then suddenly revealed, sometimes with an element of surprise to others. In the coming month it is possible that we see things which were quiet suddenly become public.
The Shakti of this asterism – ‘the power to carry things away’ – carries the promise of spiritual transformation, as you learn what you need and what you can live without. This experience is already present in the nature of an eclipse, but here it is doubly powerful. You may be forced to adjust and make a voluntary sacrifice.
Bharani’s ruler, Yama, Lord of Death, affirms its transforming energy. Along with a symbolic ending of one ambition, eliminating a long-held karmic desire allows you to move into the future feeling freer.
Eclipse Guidelines and Remedies
- Chant ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ – It is extremely powerful to chant this mantra as many times as you can during an eclipse.
- Listen to Sri Rudram, Vishnu Sahasranama or Ganesha Atharvashirsha
- Chant the Durga Mantra – ‘Aum Dum Durgaye Namaha’ 108 times. Durga means invincible, unbeatable and undefeated and is a place that is protected and cannot be reached by evil forces.
- Honor Your Ancestors – pray for them, be grateful and seek their blessings.
- Strengthen your Sun – Chant your personalized Surya mantra to strengthen your Sun.
- Donate – donating to a good cause without expecting anything in return is incredibly powerful and beneficial, particularly during the eclipse. The best time to donate is just after the eclipse, after having taken a shower.
- Take a Shower Before and After the Eclipse – If this isn’t possible, sprinkle water on your head while chanting ‘Om Namah Shivaya‘ three times. Avoid bathing or showering during the eclipse.
- Fast – Avoid eating during the time of the eclipse, or consuming food that has been exposed to the eclipse. Instead cook fresh food after it has finished. If you do eat or drink during this time chant ‘Vishnu, Vishnu, Vishnu’ 3 times.
- Stay home – If possible, avoid going out during an eclipse, but if it can’t be avoided then listen to Margabandhu Stotram for protection.
- Don’t Sleep – Avoid sleeping, or sexual activities, during the eclipse.
- Stay Positive – Spend the eclipse time with people who are vibrant and positive. Avoid confrontations and power struggles. Feel positive and grateful for what you have and avoid complaining or feeling a sense of lack.
- Reflect on Spiritual Knowledge – Listen to, read or reflect on spiritual discourses and wisdom.
- Chant the mantra Om Bharani Nakshatra Devatyai Namah.