Varalakshmi Vrtam is a day to offer worship to Goddess Lakshmi who is the presiding deity of wealth, prosperity and fortune.
Vara means boon and Lakshmi is the goddess of wealth, fortune and prosperity. Vrtam means vow, resolve or devotion.
Varalakshmi Vrtam falls in the auspicious month of Shravana on the Friday before full moon.
It can be celebrated by everyone but mostly married women pray to Goddess Lakshmi and seek her blessings for the protection and prosperity of their life partner and the entire family.
It is believed that worshipping the Goddess Varalakshmi on this day is equivalent to worshipping Ashtalakshmi – the eight goddesses of Wealth, Earth, Wisdom, Love, Fame, Peace, Contentment, and Strength.
Timings in New York, NY – Friday, July 31, 2020
You can do your rituals for Goddess Lakshmi when fixed signs are rising in the sky. The fixed signs are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius and this ensures permanence of the boons you would like to receive from the divine
Leo – 07:17 AM to 09:49 AM
Scorpio – 02:53 PM to 05:19 PM
Aquarius – 08:50 PM to 10:03 PM
- Light a lamp and an incense stick before you begin your rituals.
- Worship Lord Ganesha with your personalized Ganesha mantra available on the align27 app.
- Worship Lord Vishnu with the mantra “Aum Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya” or your personalized Visnu mantra available on the align27 app. It is said that Goddess Lakshmi (fortune) arrives only after her consort Lord Vishnu (purity) is invoked.
- Listen to, meditate or chant the Sri Suktam a hymn from the Rig Veda that invokes Goddess Lakshmi.
- Listen to, meditate or chant the Ashtalakshmi Stotram that honors the 8 forms of Goddess Lakshmi.
- Offer some sweets, water and milk to the divine.
- Strictly avoid non-vegetarian food and stick to a sattvic diet (fresh fruits, milk, nuts, boiled vegetables).
For personalized rituals based on your own birth chart, download the align27 app.