When the new moon (amavasya) falls on a Saturday it is called Shani Amavasya. It is an excellent day to do Saturn remedies and get rid of the negative effects of Saturn.
May 4th, Saturday 2019 is Shani Amavasya
1. Shani represents darkness and Surya (Sun) represents light so begin your day by honoring the Sun God. You can chant the mantra “Aum Ghrini Surya Aditya”. You can also perform Arghya.
2. Pranayama is one of the magical remedies for shani. Saturn represents disorder and it also represents Vayu Tattva and Prana. So when you do pranayama you bring order to your breath your prana and this has a subtle but powerful effect in clearing the obstacles caused by Saturn. You can do alternate nostril breathing or Basthrika pranayama. If you have learnt the Sudarshan Kriya which is taught by the Art of Living foundation then please do not fail to do your Kriya. It is THE BEST remedy for Saturn.
3. Light a lamp at sunrise and sunset. you can also burn incense or dhoop to cleanse your environment.
4. Clean your home, do not ever leave utensils in the kitchen sink overnight. Dust is represented by Saturn, so you have to clean your home and especially your altar.
5. Donate and Serve – donations are more important when it comes to Saturn. It can be in the form of money or your time to help people who are less fortunate than you.
6. Remember your ancestors and pray to them. Donate something in their memory.
7. Since Shani is in Purva Ashada nakshatra ruled by Apas, recite the Apah Suktam which is a powerful verse from the Rig Veda.
8. Chant the Hanuman Chalisa
9. Seek Forgiveness – This is yet another powerful remedy for Saturn. There is a beautiful verse from Shiva Manas Puja written by the great Adi Shankaracharya, you can chant this to ask forgiveness.
करचरणकृतं वाक्कायजं कर्मजं वा
श्रवणनयनजं वा मानसं वापराधम् ।
विहितमविहितं वा सर्वमेतत्क्षमस्व
जय जय करुणाब्धे श्रीमहादेव शम्भो ॥५॥
Kara-Caranna-Krtam Vaak-Kaaya-Jam Karma-Jam Vaa
Shravanna-Nayana-Jam Vaa Maanasam Va-Aparaadham |
Vihitam-Avihitam Vaa Sarvam-Etat-Kssamasva
Jaya Jaya Karunna-Abdhe Shrii-Mahaadeva Shambho ||5||
5.1: Whatever Sins have been Committed by Actions Performed by my Hands and Feet, Produced by my Speech and Body, Or my Works,
5.2: Produced by my Ears and Eyes, Or Sins Committed by my Mind (i.e. Thoughts),
5.3: While Performing Actions which are Prescribed (i.e. duties prescribed by tradition or allotted duties in one’s station of life), As Well as All other Actions which are Not explicitly Prescribed (i.e. actions done by self-judgement, by mere habit, without much thinking, unknowingly etc); Please Forgive Them All,
5.4: Victory, Victory to You, O Sri Mahadeva Shambho, I Surrender to You, You are an Ocean of Compassion.