The first eclipse of 2019 will occur on Jan 5th/6th based on where you are and it will be a partial solar eclipse.
On the day of eclipse the Sun, Moon and Saturn will be in Sagittarius in the Nakshatra of “Purva Ashada” which will be caused by Ketu from Uttara Ashada Nakshatra in the sign of Capricorn. Since the distance between Ketu and the Sun is over 10 degrees, this is considered a “partial” solar eclipse.
To know how this eclipse will impact you based on your moon sign download align27.com app.
Chennai – Jan 6, 5.04 am to 9.19 am
New York – Jan 5 6.34 pm to 10.48 pm
Germany – Jan 6 12.34 am to 4.48 am
Significance of Partial Solar Eclipse
Eclipses are an amazing time to search within your own self for answers to burning questions. Meditation, mantra chanting, japa, mindfulness and other spiritual activities done during the time of eclipse is extremely powerful.
Our ancient seers considered eclipses as a negative omen to begin new projects on the material level. So events like starting a new business, or moving into a new home or getting married or asking your boss for a promotion etc are avoided strictly during eclipses.
Eclipse in Purva Ashada Nakshatra
Purva Ashada Nakshatra falls in the sign of Sagittarius. The power of this Nakshatra is to “energize and invigorate”. The deity associated with it is Apas – The water Goddess. Water is associated with emotions, transformation and cleansing.
So this eclipse is an amazing time to heal yourself with the power of mantras and chants. When you make time to improve yourself on the day of the eclipse, it will accelerate the healing of old wounds which can help you transform your life for the better.
The symbol associated with this Nakshatra is a winnowing basket which involves throwing the mixture of grain and chaff into the air, so that the wind blows away the lighter chaff, while the heavier grains fall back down for recovery.
This symbolism captures the essence of this Nakshatra. When you are able to withstand the immense churning and embrace the positive change you will be rewarded. This is the best way to get all our negativity out and step into the new year with enthusiasm and a positive outlook.
If you have planets in Purva Ashada then you have to find out about it’s significance based on the house placement, to know how it will impact you.
Like I said, eclipses are not always bad, evil or negative. They are periods to lay low and seek within. It is the BEST time for meditation and chanting. So if your New Year resolution is to begin your meditation journey, then this is your golden opportunity.
Rituals and Remedies for Partial Solar Eclipse in Purva Ashada Nakshatra
1. 3 days before and after an eclipse avoid making important decisions or starting something new (material life).
2. Chant your favorite Mantra or you can chant the mantra of this Nakshatra which is “Aum Bam Purva Ashada Nakshatrayai Namaha” (this is available on the Japa108.com app with pronunciation), while holding water in a cup and then drink that water to imbibe the positive energy of the mantra.
3. If you can, please fast 6 hours before the eclipse and the duration of the eclipse.
4. Take a shower after the eclipse and during your shower keep chanting the below mantra to cleanse your self and for purification.
“गङ्गे च यमुने चैव गोदावरि सरस्वति ।
नर्मदे सिन्धु कावेरि जलेऽस्मिन् संनिधिं कुरु ॥
Gangge Ca Yamune Caiva Godaavari Sarasvati |
Narmade Sindhu Kaaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru ||
5. Chant, listen to or meditate on the Ganesha Atharvasirsha during the eclipse as many times as you can. This is available on the Sattva app. There is a verse in the Ganesha Atharvasirsha which says He who recites this during Solar Eclipse on the bank of a great River or in-front of the image of Ganapati, becomes Mantra-Siddha, He becomes free from great Obstacles, He becomes free from great Vices, He becomes free from Sins, He becomes All-Knowing. If you are unable to sit by a river you can listen to it while taking shower or while drinking water or while watering your plants.
6. Worship the 25th form of Lord Ganesha associated with this Nakshatra – Rinamochana Ganapati” – This is available on the Japa108.com app as part of the “Remove obstacles in your life in 27 days” Ritual.
7. The animal associated with the nakshatra is monkey – so please chant Hanuman chalisa and read stories related to Lord Hanuman’s devotion and courage. We have a lot of posts about Lord Hanuman on the Cosmic Insights Blog.
8. You can worship and Honor the Ashoka tree which is related to Purva Ashadha nakshatra. If you happen to find a tree you can circumbulate it or water it. If not, you can look at the pictures of this tree read about it’s history and significance on the internet.
9. The elephants tusk is associated with this nakshatra which brings about the connection of Lord Ganesha and Purva Ashada nakshatra – so changing Ganesha Mantras (during, before and after eclipse) and making liquid desserts as an offering to Lord Ganesha (after eclipse hours) will be extremely powerful.
10. The elephant tusk has a miraculous power to grow automatically when you cut it – this signifies that the wisdom that you can gain by reading the scriptures when moon or any other planet transiting this nakshatra cannot be taken away from you. So eclipse is a powerful time to read scriptures like Bhagavad Gita, Ashtavakra Gita, Patanjali Yoga Sutras, Bhakti Sutras etc.. especially since both the Gurus Jupiter and Venus are transiting the the most spiritual sign of Scorpio currently. Jupiter and Venus both have a big influence on Purva Ashada nakshatra as the nakshatra itself is ruled by Venus and the sign Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter.
11. Apply Turmeric (Jupiter) on your forehead and chew cardamom pods (Venus) for protection.