Eclipses always occur in pairs, following the partial solar eclipse on Jan 6th, we now have a Total Lunar Eclipse in Pushya Nakshatra (Cancer) on the upcoming full moon (Purnima) which falls on Jan 20/21st based on where you live.
Lunar Eclipse Timings
To check exact timings based on your location please visit http://app.cosmicinsights.net/upcoming-eclipses/
Total Lunar Eclipse
As it is total eclipse the Moon will be completely covered by the Earth’s shadow. The portion of the moon inside the shadow will only be illuminated by sunlight refracted through the Earth’s atmosphere and has a reddish hue.
The Lunar Eclipse would be visible from northern and eastern parts of Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Atlantic, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific, and Arctic.
This lunar eclipse would be visible from India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, China and most of the countries in Asia and Australia continents.
To check if the eclipse would be visible at your location click here
The lunar eclipse is a powerful time for meditation, contemplation, prayers, mantras, japa and other spiritual practices. It is wise to look within and tune yourself to spiritual vibrations and avoid materialistic pursuits.
This is not a favorable time to make any important decisions such as job change, marriage, moving into a new home, high-value purchases, investments etc.
On this total lunar eclipse, Moon (Pushya Nakshatra) will be conjunct Rahu (Punarvasu nakshatra) in the sign of Cancer and Sun will be conjunct Ketu and Mercury in Uttara Ashada nakshatra in the sign of Capricorn.
Mars (from Revtai nakshatra – Pisces) will trine Jupiter and Venus (in Jyeshta Nakshatra – Scorpio). 5 planets (Moon, Rahu, Mars, Jupiter, Venus) will be in water signs during this eclipse. Mars will also exchange signs with Jupiter (parivartana) during this period.
Water represents emotions, so be aware of heightened emotional tides. It is best to be patient and avoid expressing yourself.
Since Pushya nakshatra where Rahu and Moon reside on eclipse day governs food products, be extremely careful about what you eat. A light meal or fasting is preferred. Strictly avoid non-vegetarian diet. Keep things light. Since most planets are in a water sign, be aware of water-related problems. It is best to boil water before you drink it, and avoid water-related adventures during this period.
Remedies and Rituals
- Mantra chanting – I cannot stress the importance of this. Pushya nakshatra is ruled by the divine priest Brihaspati, so mantra chanting and Japa are extremely powerful during this time.
- Avoid eating cooked food during the time of the eclipse.
- Worship the 25th form of Lord Ganesha associated with this Nakshatra – Maha Ganapati” – This is available on the Japa108.com app as part of the “Remove obstacles in your life in 27 days” Ritual.
- Donation or Daan done on this day is extremely powerful than any other day. You may also feed people who are less fortunate than you.
- Embrace, nourish and take care of people around you especially close family members and most importantly your mother.
- The work you do during this period will bring results slowly but surely – Sun is in Uttara Ashada nakshatra which means “latter victory”. So be patient and perseverant.
- Moon in Pushya Nakshatra on this day inspires you to strive for emotional stability as moon represents your emotions and Pushya is ruled by Saturn who represents stability. So practice mindfulness, meditation, and other spiritual practices to keep your emotions in check.
- Once the eclipse is over, offer flowers to the divine as the flower is one of the symbols of Pushya Nakshatra.
- If you have had the interest to learn new mantras or shlokas or spiritual scriptures this is the best day to start.
- The energy of the day will inspire you to stand up for what is right and true, but since there is an eclipse happening to be doubly sure of what you hear and what you see. Be more alert and aware as your perceptions may not be right.
- Chant Aum Namah Shivaya 108 times and meditate on Sri Rudram.
- Take a shower before and after the eclipse.
- Do the full moon guided meditation. It is available on the Sattva App.
- Chant the below Mantra for cleansing and purification while taking shower – “गङ्गे च यमुने चैव गोदावरि सरस्वति । नर्मदे सिन्धु कावेरि जलेऽस्मिन् संनिधिं कुरु ॥ Gangge Ca Yamune Caiva Godaavari Sarasvati | Narmade Sindhu Kaaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru ||