New Moon in Magha Nakshatra is an extremely important day to honor our ancestors and get their blessings.
Ancestral worship is an integral part of many cultures in the east. We inherit another just our physical characteristics and behavioral traits from our ancestors, but our consciousness as well.
We are forever indebted to our ancestors, as without their presence it is not possible for us to be incarnated. We owe our very own life to them.
Magha Nakshatra has a special connection with the ancestor lineage, as the ruling deities of Magha Nakshatra are The Pitrs (ancestors or forefathers). So the amavasya (new moon) in the nakshatra of Magha is extremely auspicious and important to remember and honor our ancestors and express our gratitude to them. The spiritual practices that you do helps your ancestors to find mukti or liberation and in return they send you blessings in abundance.
Dates (based on New Delhi, India)
|2022||August 26/27, September 25, October 25, November 23, December 23|
|2023||January 21, February 19/20, March 21, April 19/20, May 19, June 17/18, July 17, August 15/16, September 14, October 14, November 13, December 12|
|2024||January 11, February 9, March 10, April 8, May 7/8, June 6, July 5, August 4, September 2, October 2, November 1/30, December 1/30|
|2025||January 29, February 27, March 29, April 27, May 26/27, June 25, July 24, August 22/23, September 21, October 21, November 19/20, December 19|
|2026||January 18, February 17, March 18/19, April 17, May 16, June 14/15, July 14, August 12, September 10/11, October 10, November 8/9, December 8|
|2027||January 7, February 6, March 7/8, April 6, May 6, June 4, July 3/4, August 2/31, September 29/30, October 29, November 27/28, December 27|
|2028||January 26, February 24/25, March 25/26, April 24, May 23/24, June 22, July 21/22, August 20, September 18, October 17/18, November 16, December 15/16|
|2029||January 14, February 13, March 14/15, April 13, May 13, June 11/12, July 11, August 9/10, September 8, October 7, November 5/6, December 5|
|2030||January 3/4, February 2, March 3/4, April 2, May 2/31, June 1/30, July 30, August 28, September 27, October 26, November 24/25, December 24|
For local timings download the Cosmic Insights app.
Magha nakshatra is considered as the Emperor of nakshatras. Magha literally translates to “magnificent” or “mighty”.The Pitrs (our ancestors) rule this nakshatra.
Often times we come across people who we think nand judge as someone who truly is undeserving of the status, riches or good life that is bestowed on them. Our logical mind is unable to comprehend. In most cases, the person in question must have a planet in magha nakshatra.
Magha nakshatra bestows prosperity based on our past life merits. The present is shaped by the past.
Even if you do not have any planets in Magha nakshatra you can imbibe the power of the nakshatra by honoring your ancestors.
Why is it important to honor our ancestors?
According to our scriptures, We as individuals are born with three debts that we have to pay off during this lifetime
1. The debt to God or the Divine power that is running the show (Devas)
2. The debt to our ancient seers and saints (Rishis)
3. The debt to our ancestors (Pitrs)
Our ancestors are the one’s who have the most power to help us in our journey. The only requirement is we have to ask them to help us. They do not like to interfere on their own. Probably from the other side, they have realized that life is a game and sometimes they play the role of a spectator. But when you ask for help, they are readily available.
If you have pitru dosha in your chart, then it is an extremely powerful day to perform the below rituals. You can use the Cosmic Insights app to check if you have Pitru Dosha.
Rituals and Remedies
- Honour your ancestors, pray to them and seek their blessings and support. You can also draw your family tree.
- Donations in any form is extremely effective. It will help you get out of sins committed knowingly or unknowingly.
- Worship Lord Shiva as Vaidyanath with the mantra – Om Namah Shivaya Namo Vaidyanathaya.
- Meditation – When you meditate it brings peace to your ancestors as well.
- Worship Lord Ganesha (as Magha nakshatra’s deity is Ketu) connected to the sign Leo by reciting the mantra – Aum Lambhodaraya Namah 108 times.
- The best way to honor your ancestors is to remember them, speak about them, make dishes that they like and sing a few bhajans with love and devotion.
- For personalized rituals based on your birth chart, download the align27 app.