Masik Karthigai, also known as Karthigai Deepam is celebrated every month when the Moon transits Kritikka Nakshatra. The most important and significant Karthigai Deepam is celebrated in the Tamil month of Karthigai (November-December)
Masik Karthigai is believed to be an extraordinary remedy for mitigating the malefic effects of Mars and fostering positive energy.
Maskik Karthigai dedicated to Lord Murugan
Lord Murugan is regarded as the embodiment of courage, victory, and wisdom. Masik Karthigai is observed by lighting traditional oil lamps called “deepams” in and around the home, signifying the victory of light over darkness and the triumph of good over evil. The divine light of the deepams is believed to dispel negativity and bestow prosperity, joy, and spiritual enlightenment.
Remedy for Mars
In Vedic astrology, Mars represents courage, energy, and determination, but it can also create challenges and conflicts if its energy is imbalanced. Masik Karthigai is considered a powerful remedy for appeasing Mars and harmonizing its influence. It is believed that performing specific rituals on this day can alleviate the negative effects of Mars and enhance its positive attributes in an individual’s life.
Upcoming Masik Karthigai Timings
New York, USA
Jun 15, 2023 04:42 am – Jun 16, 2023 05:36 am
Jul 12, 2023 10:14 am – Jul 13, 2023 11:21 am
Aug 08, 2023 04:02 pm – Aug 09, 2023 04:58 pm
Sep 04, 2023 11:30 pm – Sep 05, 2023 11:49 pm
Oct 02, 2023 08:54 am – Oct 03, 2023 08:33 am
Oct 29, 2023 07:12 pm – Oct 30, 2023 06:30 pm
Nov 26, 2023 03:35 am – Nov 27, 2023 03:05 am
Dec 23, 2023 10:49 am – Dec 24, 2023 10:48 am
For local timings download the Cosmic Insights app.
Rituals for Masik Karthigai
- Lighting the Deepam: The primary ritual of Masik Karthigai involves lighting oil lamps in and around the house during the evening. It is believed to bring prosperity, harmony, and protection from evil forces.
- Offering Prayers to Lord Murugan: Devotees visit temples dedicated to Lord Murugan and offer special prayers and devotional songs. Chanting verses dedicated to Lord Murugan, such as the “Skanda Shashti Kavacham” or the “Subrahmanya Bhujangam,” can help invoke His blessings and seek His guidance.
- Observing Fasting: Some devotees observe a partial or complete fast on Masik Karthigai as a means of cleansing the body and mind. Fasting is believed to enhance spiritual focus, promote self-discipline, and increase the benefits of the rituals performed on this day.
- Honoring the Sun God: Kritikka Nakshatra is ruled by the Sun – So performing Sun Salutations and Arghya to honor the Sun God is extremely beneficial.
- Honor Lord Shiva: Chant the Rudra Gayatri Mantra 108 times to worship Lord Shiva. This is available on the Japa108.com app as well. “Aum Tatpurushaya Vidmahe, Mahadevaya Dheemahi, Tanno Rudrah Prachodayat”. Tatpurusha form of Lord Shiva depicts the fire element.
To receive personalized rituals and timely reminders for festivals like Karthigai and many others each month, we recommend downloading the align27 app. It provides customized rituals and keeps you informed about auspicious occasions.