The ancient Vedic religion, like all the religions of the ancient world, was a religion of the Sun. The worship of the Sun was primary to all ancient cultures, including our ancient Indo-European ancestors the Greeks, Celts, Germans and Slavs.
The Sun is God, the Divine incarnate in nature. The Sun is the Deva, the deity. To the ancients, the Sun was the One God, which was the unity of truth. In our birth charts, the Sun shows our divinity, our unity and point of focus, our center and central purpose in life.
A well-placed Sun gives intelligence, perception, and strength of will and character. It affords endurance, stamina, vitality, positive spirit, direction, courage, conviction, confidence, leadership, independence and straightforwardness. Without it, whatever we may do or accomplish in life will not be ours and will not give us inner strength or peace. A poorly placed Sun gives lack of intelligence, poor perception, weakness of will and character. It creates a lack of endurance, low vitality, melancholy, fear, dependency or servitude, deviousness or dishonesty.
In Sanskrit, there are innumerable names for the Sun. Most commonly he is called Surya, which means the father, progenitor, or enlivener, the source of energy, motivation and inspiration, like the Greek Sun god Apollo. He is also called Savitar, which has a similar meaning and further indicates the Divine will in creation.
How to honor the Sun (Surya) with Arghya
Arghya in Sanskrit means “oblation” or “offering”.
1. Wake up before sunrise if possible and take a shower
2. Face east in standing position with a copper vessel filled with water.
3. The copper vessel is raised with both the hands stretched forward from the level of your heart.
4. As you pour the water little by little keep chanting the Mantra – “Aum Suryaya Namaha”
5. If sun is visible from where you are you may also make eye contact with the Sun by gazing through the water.
6. If you are unable to wake up before sunrise, you can still do it after your shower.
7. If you do not have a terrace or balcony and you are unable to go outdoors, you can do it from inside as well.
8. Have a feeling of gratitude for the Sun God for his unconditional love.
9. Close your eyes for few minutes after the ritual and pray silently.