“Mahashivratri is the day of Shiva. Wherever there is beauty, truth, and benevolence, there is Shiva. And, there is no place where the Shiva principle is absent. But, Shiva is not a person. It is that principle which is the summum bonum of the whole creation and pervades the entire universe. This principle, called the Shiva Tattva, is the quintessence of life and is present deep within every living being.
On Mahashivratri, we celebrate the Shiva Tattva by going deep within us, meditating, and rejoicing in the Shiva energy. There are certain days and time frames in a year when one’s mental health and spiritual faculties are enhanced and Mahashivratri is one such precious day.”
-Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
This year Shivratri occurs on the 21st of February. For local timings download the align27 app.
Significance of Fasting during Mahashivratri
The Sun in Aquarius is the time when Lord Shiva drank the poison that came from the churning of the ocean. People fast during the entire day and night of Shivratri. This is the most spiritual fast you can ever observe.
It is also believed that the mantra chanting we do by being awake during Shivratri is extremely effective. When Lord Shiva drank the poison, Goddess Parvati prayed for HIS protection and on this day Rishi Atri answered her prayers by placing the Moon on Lord Shiva to cool HIM down.
Fasting during Sivtatri is the ultimate purification ritual. It is the time when Lord Shiva ensures the soul is being relieved from the karmic burden. So it is said that Lord Shiva will drink the poison we have accumulated from many many lifetimes if we are able to fast on this day.
The day time fasting is good for marriage, prosperity, wealth and everything material. The night time fasting is great for purification and relief from karmic debts.
For personalized rituals download the align27 app.
- Chant Aum Namah Shivaya 1008 times or more. Today’s mantra chanting is extremely powerful than any other day.
- Keep a fast, do as much as you can.
- Listen to Sri Rudram or participate in Rudrabhishekam or Rudra Homa.
- Chant or listen to the Shiva Panchakshari (5 times).
- Light a lamp with Mahua oil or ghee.
- If you have a Shivlingam at home you can perform abhishekam with water, milk, yoghurt, Chandan, rose water, rice powder, holy ash, turmeric water etc.
- Meditation – This is the most important ritual of the day as there is a natural upsurge of energy and meditation helps you make the best use of it.
- If you have access to Bilwa leaves please offer them to Lord Shiva
- Immerse yourself in the Shiva energy by listening to songs of Lord Shiva especially the ones written by Adi Shankaracharya and let the energy in the universe guide you.