Vivaha panchami is celebrated on the 5th waxing moon (tithi) in the month of margashira. In 2022 this falls on November 27th in USA and November 28th in India.
For local timings download the Cosmic Insights app.
It is believed that Lord Rama and Goddess Sita got married on this day!
King Janaka (father of Goddess Sita) organized a swayamvar (a ceremony where the bride chooses the bridegroom). His condition was that the brave one who can lift the bow presented to Janaka by Lord Shiva will be the one who would marry Sita. Lord Rama not only lifted the bow with ease, but he also broke it and married Goddess Sita.
Lord Rama is the incarnation of Vishnu and he is the pure soul. Goddess Sita represents the Maya (ego) – The union of ego and soul is the ultimate purpose of life. Ego dissolves into the self. When the self is realized the ego disappears.
Vivah Panchami Rituals
- Read about the wedding of Lord Rama and Goddess Sita from the Ramayana.
- Offer yellow clothes to Lord Rama and red clothes to Goddess Sita.
- If you are undergoing problems in relationships then you can perform a pooja or a homa on this day to resolve it.
- Vivah Panchami is not considered a good day for marriages as Lord Rama and Goddess Sita faced a lot of issues after their marriage.
- Chant the mantra “Sita Ram” as many times as you can. This can help to remove all bad karmas, negativities and impurities. It also helps with the free movement of prana (life force energy).
- Light a lamp with ghee and offer flowers or garlands to Lord Rama and Goddess Sita.
For personalized daily rituals download the align27 app.