Solar eclipse is a powerful time for meditation, contemplation, prayers, mantras, japa and other spiritual practices. It is wise to look within and tune yourself to spiritual vibrations and avoid any materialistic pursuits like moving to a new home, getting married, romantic proposals, asking favors from higher officials, financial transactions, high-value purchases, investments etc.
This is not a favorable time to make any important decisions as you may not have any clarity. Be aware of heightened emotional tides.
The moon disappears in the sky during Amavasya and a solar eclipse always happens during Amavasya (No moon) while a Lunar eclipse always happens during Purnima (full moon).
This solar eclipse happens with the conjunction of Ketu, Sun, Moon and Mercury in Jyeshta nakshatra in the sign of Scorpio and Venus in Anuradha Nakshatra in the sign of Scorpio. Rahu will be in Mrigashira Nakshatra in the sign of Taurus.
Do not surround yourself with people who are negative during the time of eclipses. Associate yourself with people who are vibrant and positive. Do not feel any “Lack” in your life. The energies during eclipse are very strong, so feel positive and grateful for everything you have and stop your complaining mind with Japa, meditation and spiritual sadhana. If you are looking for prosperity in your life, then eclipse is the perfect time to align with prosperity instead of focusing our attention on what we do not have.
Local Timings, Duration and Visibility
Gandanta Solar Eclipse in Jyeshta Nakshatra – Power Struggles
Gandanta is a sensitive karmic zone. The gandanta zones in the zodiac are always between fire and water signs. This eclipse is happening in the tail end of the sign Scorpio which is a water sign and it precedes Sagittarius the fire sign.
This solar eclipse is happening in the nakshatra of Jyeshta which is all about power, leadership and ego. Mercury is the ruler of this Nakshatra and during the eclipse Mercury is in a planetary war with Ketu which makes it all the more intense. Mercury is a planet that represents communication and along with Ketu it may create ample opportunities for miscommunication and misunderstandings. So please avoid all kinds of communications and expressions that may create turbulence in the minds of people around you.
Jyeshta nakshatra is considered as the eldest or the senior most among the first 18 nakshatras. This energy makes it tough for people to let go of their pride and ego and makes them rebel against dharma or righteousness.
One of the symbols of this nakshatra is a round talisman or a round earring which signifies the fact that what goes around comes around. Since the eclipse is happening in the 4th pada of this nakshatra which is a Gandanta pada it is important to say, think, speak and do the right things that adhere with our own dharma. At all costs we should avoid misuse of power.
This nakshatra may make us magnify our troubles and problems in life, so be patient and turn your attention inward. Jyeshta nakshatra needs constant action so conscious breathing practices like Sudarsna Kriya is extremely effective at this time.
Since the pada 4 of Jyeshta belongs to the Pisces Navamsha it is important to stay away from substances that cause intoxication as too much indulgence during this time may be dangerous.
Know that during this time our own sense of right and wrong could be flawed, so do not get stuck on your own ideas and opinions and try to force them on to others. Because, your opinions may change a lot during this time.
The Shakti of this Nakshatra is Arohana Shakti which means the power to rise above all negativity and gain courage to rise up, conquer and win. If you turn your mind inwards you will be able to tap into the transformative energy of this Nakshatra and use it to move forward in life in the right direction.
This nakshatra is just opposite to the Moon’s favorite asterism – Rohini. So issues related to jealousy and betrayal can surface up during this time. Purity of intention, action and speech is much needed during this time.
Story of Lord Krishna and Lord Indra
Lord Krishna saw huge preparations for the annual offering to Indra (for rain) and questions his father Nanda about it. He debated with the villagers about what their ‘dharma’ truly was. They were farmers, they should do their duty and concentrate on farming and protection of their cattle. He continued to say that all human beings should merely do their ‘dharma’, to the best of their ability and not pray or conduct sacrifices for natural phenomenon. The villagers were convinced by Krishna, and did not proceed with the special puja (prayer). Indra was then angered, and flooded the village. Krishna then lifted Mt Govardhan and held it up as protection to his people and cattle from the rain. Indra finally accepted defeat and recognized Krishna as supreme.
This story teaches us that we should be careful not to misuse our own power and create our own misfortune just like what Indra did out of ego and pride. We should realize that there is a higher power governing the whole universe.
You can order your personalized Solar Eclipse remedies report here
Do’s and Dont’s
Sudarshan Kriya – Direct your mind inward
When Jyeshta’s restless Gandanta energy is directed inward it can help you seek peace and happiness from within.
During eclipses, The Sun and the Moon are in perfect alignment conducive for spiritual practices.
We at Cosmic Insights are working with the Art of Living foundation to organize online meditation courses during this time. Since this is an extremely powerful time for spiritual pursuits, we highly recommend you to join us on the Online SKY Breath and Meditation Workshop where you can learn the most miraculous Sudarshan Kriya.
To know how this Eclipse affects you check the align27 app.
- Check if you have any planets in Scorpio and Taurus – if you do, then check their lordships and conjunctions to make sense of what you can expect during this time.
- If you have your natal rahu ketu in the Taurus/Scorpio axis then this is a nodal return for you. Please be patient and do not rush into things during this eclipse season.
- Check if you are going through Dasha/Antar dasha of either Sun, Moon, Rahu, Ketu or any planet that is in Marana Karaka Sthana
- Check the Ashtakavarga scores of the signs where Taurus and Scorpio fall in your chart.
- Check the position of transit Jupiter in your chart for more clues.
- Use the Nadi Nakshatras or Detailed Tarabala Table on the Cosmic Insights app to see where Jyeshta and Mrigashira occur in your chart and what does that signify. For example if you have Jyeshta as your Karma nakshatra then you may have to be careful with the work/job you are doing.
- If one of the above Nakshatras is your Abhisheka nakshatra then performing abhishekam for Lord Shiva is extremely effective for you at this time.
- Take a shower before and after the eclipse. If you are unable to take a shower, take some water chant Aum Namah Shivaya thrice and sprinkle it on your head. – Do not bathe during the eclipse
- It is best to fast during the time of the eclipse.
- Do not eat food that is exposed to the eclipse, please cook fresh food after the eclipse.
- Chant “Vishnu, Vishnu, Vishnu” before you drink or eat anything. Make this a daily habit.
- Do not commence any new projects during this time.
Rituals and Remedies
For personalized rituals and mantras that you can chant based on your own birth chart, please download the align27 app. You can also find out about the planets that are impacted in your birth chart during this eclipse and mantras for the same on the align27 app.
Here are some generic rituals you can do.
- Perform few minutes of Pranayama every single day. Moon (the planet that depicts our mind and longevity) rules the North West direction and the deity of the NW direction is Vayu (The wind God), Vayu rules the Nakshatras as well. So pranayama is your secret power during this period.
- Meditate every day. Ketu is known as the Moksha karaka (significator of moksha or liberation). So when you meditate it strengthens your Ketu.
- Chant Aum Namah Shivaya as many times as you possibly can starting today. When you chant it during the eclipse time, it is extremely powerful.
- Chant the Jyotirlinga mantra of your soul planet for strength and protection.
- Listen to Sri Rudram. You can recite it or just meditate on it.
- Recite, listen to or meditate on Ganesha Atharvasirsha.
- Chant the Durga Mantra “Aum Dum Durgaye Namaha” 108 times.
- Honor your ancestors – Pray for them, be grateful to them and seek their blessings and help.
- Donate – donation done during eclipse times is extremely powerful and beneficial so do not limit yourself in what you can do to help people without expecting anything in return.
- Chant your personalized Surya mantra to strengthen your Sun.