As per the Hindu calendar the 13th lunar day is celebrated as “Pradosham” and worshipping Lord Shiva on this day brings a lot of blessings to the sincere devotee. When Pradosham falls on a Saturday it is referred to as “Shani Pradosh” or “Shani Trayodashi”.
Shravan Shani Pradosham
The Shani Pradosham that is happening on Aug 1, 2020, is even more special and powerful because it occurs in the most spiritual month of Shravan. It is the time to recalibrate and reevaluate what’s really important to us and let go of everything else that is holding us back from living up to our fullest potential.
Skanda Purana states that if a devotee observes the Pradosh Vrat he never suffers from lack of wealth for 100 lifetimes. Shani Pradosh is one of the best days to do remedies for Shani (Saturn).
Shravan Shani Pradosh Rituals
- Keep a fast or partial fast or maintain a Sattvic vegetarian diet from sunrise to sunset.
- Worship Lord Hanuman by reciting or listening to Hanuman Chalisa. It is one of the best remedies to manage Saturn. – The mystery behind Lord Hanuman and Saturn (Shani Dev) – Cosmic Insights
- Listen to Sri Rudram, you can also play the rudram, close your eyes and listen to it in a meditative state. You can do this during the pradosham period which is 1.5 hours before and 1.5 hours after sunset.
- Chant Aum Namah Shivaya 1008 times or 108 times.
- Light a lamp with sesame oil during sunset.
- Chant the Shani mantra “Neelanjana Samabhasam Ravi Putram Yamagrajam Chchaaya Martanda Sambhootam Tam Namami Shaneshwaram” as many times as you possibly can especially during Saturn Hora. You can also choose a simple Shani mantra. All the mantras are available on the Japa108.com app.
- Donate to people who are less fortunate than you and the ones that serve you.
- Avoid purchasing items such as oil, leather, broom, cleaning utilities, umbrella, iron items etc.
- Declutter your home. Throw away unused footwear and electronics that are not in working condition.
- Feed crows if possible.
- Walk bare-feet on Grass if possible.
- Read chapters from the book The Greatness of Saturn (Shani Mahatmaya)
The Importance of Shani Pradosh
The importance of Shani Pradosha is closely associated with Mahakaleshwar temple in Ujjain , a town in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. The city of Ujjain was called Avantika and was famous for its devotional epicenter. It was also one of the primary cities where students went to study holy scriptures.
According to legend, there was a ruler of Ujjain called Chandrasen, who was a pious devotee of Shiva and worshipped him all the time. He was blessed with a celestial gem which could create miracles. Rivals of Ujjain, king Ripudaman and king Singhaditya of the neighboring kingdoms decided to attack Ujjain and take over the treasure. The king Chandransena unaware of the impending war was worshipping Shiva. He was joined by a farmer’s boy named Shrikhar, who was walking on the grounds of the palace and heard the king chant the Shiva’s name. However, the guards removed him by force and sent him to the outskirts of the city near the river Kshipra . Shrikhar continued to pray and the news spread to a priest named Vridhi. He was shocked to hear this and upon the urgent pleas of his sons, he started to worship Lord Shiva inside the river Kshipra. The enemy kings chose to attack and it happened to be a Saturday and Trayodashi (13th Lunar Day)
With the help of the powerful demon Dushan, who was blessed by Brahma to be invisible, they plundered the city and attacked all the devotees of Shiva. Upon hearing the pleas of his helpless devotees, Shiva appeared in his Mahakal (form of light) and destroyed the enemies of king Chandrasen. Upon the request of his devotees Shrikhar and Vridhi, Shiva agreed to reside in the city and become the chief deity of the kingdom. From that day on, Shiva resided in his light form as Mahakal in a Lingam that was formed on its own from the powers of the Shiva and his consort, Parvati .
It is believed that people worshipping Shiva on a Shani Pradosha would be free from the fear of death and diseases. They would also be granted worldly treasures.