Lord Shani (Saturn) holds a significant place in Hinduism, often misunderstood and feared for his just and strict nature. Known as the Lord of Karma, Saturn ensures that we reap the consequences of our past life actions, whether positive or negative.
Saturn’s Role in Our Lives:
Saturn acts as a wake-up call, shaking us out of our attachments and bringing us back to reality. While his methods may not always be pleasant, they are undeniably effective in guiding us towards our karmic obligations.
Among the various remedies available for Saturn’s influence, the most powerful one is the practice of “Saturn Fast.”
Saturn Fasting and Its Significance:
Saturn fasting begins on the first Saturday after the new moon in the month of Shravan and continues for 16 consecutive Saturdays. This practice holds immense transformative power and provides relief from the challenges posed by Saturn’s energy.
Saturn Fasting in 2023 will commence on July 22nd and conclude on November 4th.
Understanding Your Saturn Placement:
The positioning of Saturn in your birth chart, along with its aspects, offers insights into the areas of life that require attention and change. To gain a deeper understanding of Saturn’s influence in your chart, you can avail our personalized Saturn interpretation report.
Transits and Challenges:
Transits of Saturn can present significant challenges for individuals. Those going through Sade Sati with their moon in Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces, or experiencing Ashtama Shani with their moon in Cancer, or Kantaka Shani with their moon in Scorpio, may find the Saturn Fast particularly beneficial.
Additionally, individuals undergoing Saturn Return, where Saturn returns to its original position in the birth chart, or encountering Saturn’s transit over natal planets, can also find solace and stability through this practice.
Observing the Saturn Fast:
To observe the Saturn Fast, begin on July 22nd, and continue for 16 consecutive Saturdays. The specific dates for the fast are as follows: July 22nd, 29th, August 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th, September 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th, October 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th, and November 4th.
Saturn Fasting Rituals
- During the fast, it is advisable to wake up early, take a shower, and engage in meditation and prayers. Chanting Saturn mantras such as “Om Nilanajana Samabhasam, Ravi putram Yamagrajam Chhaya Martanda Sambhutham, Tam Namami Shanischaram” or the simple mantra “Om Sham Shri Shanaishcharaya Namaha” 108 times or more can be effective.
- Light a lamp with sesame oil during sunset, facing the east, on Saturdays. Use frankincense essential oil, either by inhaling it from hot water or applying it behind the ears or near the throat area.
- For those able to maintain a full Saturn Fast, abstain from eating anything except fresh fruits, boiled vegetables, and water from sunrise on Saturday until sunrise on Sunday. If a full fast is not feasible, opt for a partial fast, where you refrain from eating anything except fresh fruits, boiled vegetables, and water from sunrise to sunset on Saturday, followed by a light, healthy vegetarian meal after sunset.
- During the fast, avoid alcohol, non-vegetarian food, and negative feelings towards oneself or others. Maintain a focused and introspective mindset, speaking less and turning your attention inward.
- Reading the book “The Greatness of Saturn” during the Shravan month Saturdays is considered auspicious.
- Additionally, during this period, meditating on Sri Rudram every Monday and, if possible, arranging for a priest to perform the Rudrabhishekam at home or attending one in a temple can further enhance the benefits.
Saturn fasting during the month of Shravan in 2023 offers us a powerful means to address and alleviate the influence of Saturn in our lives. By observing the Saturn Fast with sincerity and dedication, we can experience transformative changes, stability, and relief from Saturn’s challenges.
May this auspicious practice during Shravan bring blessings, enlightenment, and spiritual growth to all who embark on this transformative journey.
Jai Guru Dev!