On Friday July 27th, 2018 there will be a total lunar eclipse along with the most auspicious Guru Purnima, which happens in the sign of Capricorn in the nakshatra of Shravana. This eclipse is extremely intense as the moon will be conjunct retrograde mars and ketu.
This is the longest eclipse of the 21st century which lasts for 103 minutes.
The moon will also be in direct opposition to retrograde mercury from the sign of cancer along with rahu and sun.
Full Eclipse begin – Jul 27 at 19:30:15 GMT
Maximum Eclipse – Jul 27 at 20:21:44 GMT
Full Eclipse ends – Jul 27 at 21:13:11 GMT
Shravana nakshatra is associated with the art of listening. In modern astronomy, Shravana is represented by the three bright stars in the constellation known as Aquila in the zodiac sign of Capricorn. This is often compared to the three foot steps taken by Lord Vishnu in his Vamana avatar to defeat Bali and return the heaven to the Gods.
The Story of Vamana and Mahabali
The Bhagavata Purana describes that Vishnu descended as the Vamana avatar to restore the authority of Indra over the heavens, as it had been taken over by a benevolent Asura King Mahabali (or simply called Bali). Vamana, as a dwarf Brahmin carrying a wooden umbrella, went to the king to request for land that he could set his foot upon for three paces. Mahabali consented, against the warning of his guru, Sukracharya thinking of the limitations of the space of his foot. Vamana then enlarged to gigantic proportions to stride over the three worlds. He stepped from heaven to earth with the first step, from the earth to the netherworld with the second. King Mahabali, unable to fulfill his promise, offered his head for the third. Vamana then placed his foot and gave the king immortality for his humility and gave the lordship of the netherworld to Bali.
The Inner Meaning and Significance
Mahabali symbolizes Samridhi (prosperity), the three feet symbolizes the three states of existence – Jagrat (awake), Swapna (dream) and Sushupti (deep sleep) and final step is on his head which elevates from these three states, unto moksha (spiritual liberation, release from rebirths).
The significance of Guru Purnima
“From darkness to light, from the seen world around us to the unseen world within us, from the conscious mind to the super-conscious mind, the journey is possible only with a Guru and Guru’s energy or grace. “
— Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
The Word “Gu” signifies darkness and “Ru” signifies the one who removes the darkness. Thus Guru means one who is the remover of the darkness. It is the day to honor your teachers especially the spiritual teachers and express your gratitude towards them. In astrology, Guru is represented by the most benevolent planet – “Jupiter’ which is also the planet of optimism, knowledge, wisdom and expansion.
Few things that can help you sail through and make the best of this eclipse
- Do not jump into anything new without careful consideration of the future consequences.
- Avoid beginning new projects 3 days prior to the eclipse and 3 days after that.
- Meditation, Mantra Chanting and other spiritual rituals will give you multifold results when done during this period.
- Listen to or Chant the Ganapathi Atharvasirsha as many times as you can especially during the eclipse time.
- Avoid eating and other indulgences during the eclipse.
- Listen intently. There is a difference between “hearing” and “listening”. Avoid jumping to conclusions based on your own perception. Pick your battles.
- If you are driving – start your journey by listening to some spiritual chant or mantra. Avoid intense discussions while driving.
- Spend time listening to spiritual discourses by Gurus.
- Just like Lord Vamana who kicked the demon out, it is time for us to look within and clear out the demon within us. This is the perfect time to let go of negativity and things that are not life supporting. You can also use this time to declutter your home, office etc.
- Listen to Carnatic music Ragas Simhendramadhyamam, Hemavathi or Dharmavathi
- Take a shower after the eclipse
- Listen to or recite The Hanuman Chalisa
- Listen to Kandha Shashti Kavacham
- Listen to Vishnu Sahasranama
- Read the Bhagavad Purnana (especially about the Vamana Avatar of Lord Vishnu)
- Apply turmeric or Chandan on your forehead and navel center.
- Keep yourself hydrated as Mars and Ketu are both fiery planets.
- Chant Aum Namah Shivaya and The Gayatri Mantra as many times as possible but at least a minimum of 108 times.
The Eclipses trigger events globally and personally as well based on our own unique birth chart. Look for the house where Capricorn is placed in your chart and that will give you some clues as to what areas of life may come to light during this time.
For a limited time, we are also offering an Eclipse consultation that will help you understand how this eclipse season will impact you and shed some light on how you can make the best of it with practical remedies that you can perform.