Amavasya is the day when the Moon (cosmic mother) merges completely with the Sun (cosmic father.
Note – Amavasya is the dark moon when the moon is not visible at all in the sky but often times its been translated as New Moon
In Sanskrit, “amā” means “together” and “vásya” means “to dwell” or “cohabit”. It also means “na” +”ma”+”asya” meaning to “na” = “No, “ma”=Moon, “Asya”=“There” in turn meaning to There is no Moon i.e., Moon is not visible.
Dark Moon + Saturn’s transit into Capricorn
The planetary influences during the new moon give us an insight into what’s coming up for the month ahead.
The new moon of Jan 24th is an extremely powerful cosmic phenomenon as Saturn – The disciplinarian is finally moving into the sign of Capricorn after a 2.5-year sojourn in the sign of Sagittarius.
The new moon will be in the nakshatra of “Shravana” which is often referred to as “The star of listening”.
It is a powerful time to allow yourself to feel settled so you can listen to what the universe is trying to tell you and especially what Saturn is trying to tell you about his plans for you while he in Capricorn.
It is important to slow down and take a pause on this day and unwrap your cosmic plan.
This Amavasya is also the first after the Sun’s Uttarayan (northern) transit that happened on Jan 15th.
Saturn is a planet that commands “Discipline”. So while Saturn is in Capricorn do not make any false promises. It is wise to make a plan and stick to it. Work on your plan with patience and perseverance and you will succeed.
Dark Moon Rituals
- The days leading to the new moon it is recommended that we chant the Saraswati mantra and worship her. Saraswati is the goddess of learning and intuition. And Shravana nakshatra where the amavasya happens is the nakshatra of Goddess Saraswati. A simple mantra to worship her is “Aum Aim Saraswatye Namah” you can chant this 108 times.
- On the new moon day it is important to nourish your inner self. It is time to take a step back, pause and reflect on the month that has gone by and plan for the month ahead.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Most of us may experience lethargy and tiredness during this time. We may feel the lack of motivation to get things done.
- Write down and reflect on all that has happened in the past lunar cycle and set intentions for the upcoming lunar cycle.
- Perform the Shunya Mudra by bending your middle finger to gently touch the bottom part of your thumb and press your thumb to support the middle finger. Extend all the other fingers. This mudra will help you clear the blocks and set you up for new beginnings. It will also help you empty your frustrations, desires, disappointments, etc to start fresh.
- Honor your ancestors and pray for them.
- This is a powerful day to donate. Donation does not always mean monetary contribution, you can also do something for someone without expecting anything in return.
- Worship the divine mother in the form of Kali on Amavasya.
- Material beginnings are not advised on the day of Amavasya as it is the last tithi and the last day of the fortnight and the last day of the month which denotes endings.
- Seek Forgiveness – This is yet another powerful remedy for Saturn. There is a beautiful verse from Shiva Manas Puja written by the great Adi Shankaracharya, you can chant this to ask forgiveness.
करचरणकृतं वाक्कायजं कर्मजं वा
श्रवणनयनजं वा मानसं वापराधम् ।
विहितमविहितं वा सर्वमेतत्क्षमस्व
जय जय करुणाब्धे श्रीमहादेव शम्भो ॥५॥
Kara-Caranna-Krtam Vaak-Kaaya-Jam Karma-Jam Vaa
Shravanna-Nayana-Jam Vaa Maanasam Va-Aparaadham |
Vihitam-Avihitam Vaa Sarvam-Etat-Kssamasva
Jaya Jaya Karunna-Abdhe Shrii-Mahaadeva Shambho ||5||
5.1: Whatever Sins have been Committed by Actions Performed by my Hands and Feet, Produced by my Speech and Body, Or my Works,
5.2: Produced by my Ears and Eyes, Or Sins Committed by my Mind (i.e. Thoughts),
5.3: While Performing Actions which are Prescribed (i.e. duties prescribed by tradition or allotted duties in one’s station of life), As Well as All other Actions which are Not explicitly Prescribed (i.e. actions done by self-judgement, by mere habit, without much thinking, unknowingly etc); Please Forgive Them All,
5.4: Victory, Victory to You, O Sri Mahadeva Shambho, I Surrender to You, You are an Ocean of Compassion.