The Skanda Shashti Vrat is an extremely powerful ritual to honor Lord Kartikeya or Skanda also known as Murugan who is the deity of the planet Mars.
If you are experiencing problems because of Mars in your horoscope or running a Mars period then this ritual will help you overcome it.
Here are some scenarios that indicate that Mars is troubling you in your chart
- Tiredness and lethargy – Lack of energy to get things done.
- Anger and vengeance
- Conflicts in relationships
- Lack of confidence and passion in life.
- Fear and anxiety
- Frequent accidents
The Legend behind Shashti Vrat
A demon named Surapadma was troubling the devas due to the invincible boons he received. So the devas visited Lord Shiva and asked HIM to help them, Lord Shiva manifested Subramanya or Kartikeya from HIS third eye through six effulgent sparks. These 6 different sparks combined unified as one child with 6 faces (that is why HE is also called Arumugam – Aru means 6 and mugam means face). Lord Kartikeya received the divine spear (vel) from his mother, Goddess Parvati. HE fought surapadma for 6 days and the demon was destroyed on the 6th day which was Shashti (the 6th lunar day).
The demon then prayed for mercy so Lord Kartikeya bestowed immortality on him by transforming the demon into a peacock which became his vahana (vehicle) and a cock which was permanently fixed on his flag.
Until today, the Soora Samharam (destruction of Surapadma) is enacted at Tiruchendur (where the battle was fought) during Skanda Shashti. Thousands of devotees attend this grand event to leave with a feeling that whatever their troubles may be, Lord Skanda would take care of them and protect them.
Once Jagad Guru Sri Adi Shankaracharya was afflicted by an ailment, HE recieved a divine instruction to visit Tiruchendur and worship Murugan there. HE was cured completely and composed the Subramanya Bhujangam where HE states that whoever worships Lord Kartikeya or Subramanya at Tiruchendur with utmost faith would be bestowed with great health, happiness and prosperity.
The Shashti vrat is usually observed for 6 days starting from the first lunar day after Amavasya in the month of Karthik, until the 6th lunar day. But the most POWERFUL day is the 6th lunar day (Shashti tithi).
Shasti Tithi Begins – 12:05 AM on Nov 09, 2021
Shasti Tithi Ends – 09:55 PM on Nov 09, 2021
Shasti Tithi Begins – 10:35 AM on Nov 09, 2021
Shasti Tithi Ends – 08:25 AM on Nov 10, 2021
Shasti Tithi Begins – 05:05 AM on Nov 09, 2021
Shasti Tithi Ends – 02:55 AM on Nov 10, 2021
For local timings download the align27 app.
Here are some rituals that you can do
- Honor Mars by observing silence. You can do this for the whole day or you can do it during Mars hora. You can check Mars Hora timings on the align27 app for free.
- You can keep a simple fast, but this is not mandatory – the word Vrat is often misinterpreted as fasting, but vrat or vratam means “vow” or adhering to certain disciplines which may or may not include fasting. So you can even choose to give up something you really like for this time period.
- Draw or paint a Vel (spear) which is the divine weapon of Lord Kartikeya. If you have a vel at home you can worship it at your altar.
- Read few chapters from the Skanda Purana
- Listen to or chant the Skanda Shashti Kavacham, Subramanya Bhujangam or Skanda Guru Kavacham.
- Strictly avoid non vegetarian food for the entire period of 6 days.
- Chant the mantra – Aum Saravana Bhava 108 times or more.
- If you feel adventurous you can also chant the Skanda Shashti Kavacham 36 times.
- Offer the 5 elements to Lord Kartikeya – Lamp, Chandan (Sandalwood paste), Water and a sweet dish for prasadam, Incense sticks and Flowers.
For personalized rituals download the align27 app.