Skanda Shashti Vrat is a potent ritual dedicated to Lord Kartikeya, also known as Skanda or Murugan, the deity associated with the planet Mars. This ritual is especially beneficial for those facing difficulties due to Mars’s influence in their horoscope or during a Mars-dominant period.
Signs of Mars’s Adverse Influence in Your Chart:
- Fatigue and low energy levels.
- Proneness to anger and seeking revenge.
- Relationship disputes.
- Reduced confidence and zest for life.
- Feelings of fear and anxiety.
- Recurrent accidents.
Skanda Shashti Vrat Timings for 2023
The six-day Skanda Shashti Vrat begins after Amavasya in the month of Karthik and culminates on the sixth day, with the most potent day being Shashti.
Skanda Shashti Vrat (6 days) – Timings
New York, USA – 13 Nov, 2023 to 18 Nov, 2023
London, UK – 13 Nov, 2023 to 18 Nov, 2023
Chennail, India – 13 Nov, 2023 to 18 Nov, 2023
Skanda Shashti Vrat (Most Important Day)
New York, USA – 18 Nov, 2023
Shasti Tithi Begins – 10:48 PM, Nov 17, 2023
Shasti Tithi Ends – 08:53 PM, Nov 18, 2023
London, UK – 18 Nov, 2023
Shasti Tithi Begins – 03:48 AM, Nov 18, 2023
Shasti Tithi Ends – 01:53 AM, Nov 19, 2023
Chennai, India – 18 Nov, 2023
Shasti Tithi Begins – 09:18 AM, Nov 18, 2023
Shasti Tithi Ends – 07:23 AM, Nov 19, 2023
For local timings download the align27 app.
Background of Skanda Shashti Vrat
A demon named Surapadma caused havoc among the gods, empowered by his invulnerability. The gods sought help from Lord Shiva, who created Subramanya or Kartikeya from his third eye, embodied in six radiant sparks. These sparks merged into a child with six faces, hence his name Arumugam (Aru: six, Mugam: face). Kartikeya, armed with a divine spear from Goddess Parvati, vanquished Surapadma on the sixth lunar day, Shashti. He then showed mercy, transforming the demon into a peacock, his mount, and a cock for his banner.
The Soora Samharam, or the defeat of Surapadma, is reenacted at Tiruchendur (Murugan temple in Tamil Nadu) annually during Skanda Shashti, drawing numerous devotees seeking Lord Skanda’s protection and resolution of their problems.
Jagad Guru Sri Adi Shankaracharya, once cured of an illness after praying to Murugan at Tiruchendur, asserted in his Subramanya Bhujangam that worshipping Lord Kartikeya there brings health, happiness, and prosperity.
- Observe a period of silence in honor of Mars, for a whole day or during Mars Hora (check timings on the align27 app).
- Undertake a simple fast or vow to forego a favorite indulgence.
- Create or worship an image of Vel, Lord Kartikeya’s spear.
- Read passages from the Skanda Purana.
- Recite or listen to Skanda Shashti Kavacham, Subramanya Bhujangam, or Skanda Guru Kavacham.
- Abstain from meat throughout the six-day period.
- Chant the mantra ‘Aum Saravana Bhava‘ 108 times or more.
- Optionally, chant the Skanda Shashti Kavacham 36 times.
- Offer the five elements to Lord Kartikeya: Lamp, Sandalwood paste, Water, Sweet dish (for prasadam), Incense sticks, and Flowers.