The Skanda Shashti Vrat is an extremely powerful ritual to honor Lord Kartikeya or Skanda also known as Murugan who is the deity of the planet Mars.
If you are experiencing problems because of Mars in your horoscope or running a Mars period then this ritual will help you overcome it.
Here are some scenarios that indicate that Mars is troubling you in your chart
- Tiredness and lethargy – Lack of energy to get things done.
- Anger and vengeance
- Conflicts in relationships
- Lack of confidence and passion in life.
- Fear and anxiety
- Frequent accidents
Once Jagad Guru Sri Adi Shankaracharya was afflicted by an ailment, HE recieved a divine instruction to visit Tiruchendur and worship Murugan there. HE was cured completely and composed the Subramanya Bhujangam where HE states that whoever worships Lord Kartikeya or Subramanya at Tiruchendur with utmost faith would be bestowed with great health, happiness and prosperity.
The Shashti vrat is usually observed for 6 days starting from the first lunar day after Amavasya in the month of Karthik, until the 6th lunar day.
But the good news is every month when the Shashti Tithi (6th lunar day) is operating, these rituals can be done!
You can use the Cosmic Insights app or the align27 app to know about the Shashti Tithi.
Upcoming Shukla Shashti Tithi
New York – Begins at 11:58 PM, Jan 25 and Ends at 10:40 PM, Jan 26
Chennai – Begins at 10:28 AM, Jan 26 and Ends at 09:10 AM, Jan 27
London – Begins at 04:58 AM, Jan 26 and Ends at 03:40 AM, Jan 27
Here are some rituals that you can do
- Honor Mars by observing silence. You can do this for the whole day or you can do it during Mars hora. You can check Mars Hora timings on the align27 app for free.
- You can keep a simple fast, but this is not mandatory – the word Vrat is often misinterpreted as fasting, but vrat or vratam means “vow” or adhering to certain disciplines which may or may not include fasting. So you can even choose to give up something you really like for this time period.
- Draw or paint a Vel (spear) which is the divine weapon of Lord Kartikeya. If you have a vel at home you can worship it at your altar.
- Read few chapters from the Skanda Purana
- Listen to or chant the Skanda Shashti Kavacham, Subramanya Bhujangam or Skanda Guru Kavacham.
- Strictly avoid non vegetarian food.
- Chant the mantra – Om Saravana Bhava 108 times or more.
- If you feel adventurous you can also chant the Skanda Shashti Kavacham 36 times.
- Offer the 5 elements to Lord Kartikeya – Lamp, Chandan (Sandalwood paste), Water and a sweet dish for prasadam, Incense sticks and Flowers.
For personalized rituals download the align27 app.