Did you know that within the luni-solar calendar, each month holds a Shivratri? This auspicious day, falling on the 14th waning lunar day known as Krishna Chaturdashi, occurs just before Amavasya (New Moon). Shivratri, a time to honor Lord Shiva, is an opportunity to transcend darkness and ignorance in our lives.
Shivratri: A Gateway to Overcoming Negativity:
Shivratri holds immense importance as it is considered the best time to seek blessings from Lord Shiva and conquer the darkness within. Every month there is a Shivratri but the Shivratri celebrated in the month of Phalguna (usually occurs in March or February), is known as Mahashivratri and is the most important and powerful of all Shivratris.
Shani and Rahu Remedies:
Saturn (Shani) and Rahu are planetary forces associated with the element of air (Vayu Tattva). When afflicted, they can bring disorder, chaos, and restlessness. As the moon’s transit through the 27 nakshatras influences our emotional state, Shani and Rahu impact our life force energy (prana). To counter their malefic effects, the practice of Pranayama, particularly Sudarshan Kriya, is highly effective.
Lord Shiva’s Power over Vayu Tattva:
Lord Shiva, the deity representing the universal life force, holds complete control over Vayu Tattva and the Vata Dosha. His divine influence can harmonize the negative impact of Shani and Rahu. Hence Shivratri is a powerful day to invoke the blessings of Lord Shiva to remedy Saturn and Rahu in our birth chart.
Upcoming Masik Shivratri Timings
New York, USA
Jun 15, 2023 12:39 am to Jun 16, 2023 01:14 am
Jul 15, 2023 12:44 am to Jul 16, 2023 01:21 am
Aug 14, 2023 12:41 am to Aug 15, 2023 01:21 am
Sep 12, 2023 12:30 am to Sep 13, 2023 01:15 am
Oct 12, 2023 12:17 am to Oct 13, 2023 01:08 am
Nov 11, 2023 11:12 pm to Nov 12, 2023 12:08 am
Dec 10, 2023 11:20 pm to Dec 12, 2023 12:18 am
For local timings, download the align27 app.
Shiv Ratri Rituals
- Chant or listen to the Sri Rudram, an ancient Vedic hymn dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Worship Lord Shiva as Jambukeshwara by chanting the mantra “Om Jambukeshwaraya Namah” to connect with His energy.
- Utter the powerful Panchakshari mantra, “Om Namah Shivaya,” repeatedly, invoking the divine vibrations associated with Lord Shiva.
- Perform Rudrabhishekam, a ritualistic offering of water and milk on the Shiva Lingam, symbolizing devotion and seeking blessings.
- Engage in acts of charity and donation, sharing blessings and abundance with others.
- Seize the opportunity to forgive yourself and others, allowing for emotional healing and release.
- Recite the mantra “Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya” as often as possible during this sacred time.
- Incorporate Pranayama and breathwork practices into your routine, harnessing the power of breath to calm the mind and energize the body.
- Explore personalized rituals tailored to your unique astrological profile by downloading the align27 app, your guide to aligned actions and cosmic insights.