Shivratri is one of the most important days for a seeker as it helps to cleanse ourselves physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. The 14th waning lunar day in the Vedic month of Phalguna (February or March) is celebrated as Mahashivratri. This night is an extremely powerful one to receive Lord Shiva’s blessings and embark on a transformative journey from darkness to light.
The Monthly Shivratri
In the luni-solar calendar, each month is adorned with its own Shivratri. This revered day falls on the 14th lunar day of the waning moon phase, known as Krishna Chaturdashi, setting the stage just before the new moon, or Amavasya. The monthly Shivratri is a great opportunity to honor Lord Shiva, offering devotees a chance to dispel the shadows of ignorance and illuminate their lives with wisdom.
Mitigating the Influence of Shani and Rahu:
The cosmic forces of Saturn (Shani) and Rahu, associated with the air element (Vayu Tattva), can introduce turmoil and unease into our lives. Their influence extends to our emotional and energetic realms, governed by the moon’s passage through the 27 nakshatras. Engaging in Pranayama, especially Sudarshan Kriya, offers a potent remedy to mitigate their challenging effects.
Harnessing Lord Shiva’s Mastery over the Air Element:
Lord Shiva rules over the air element and Vata Dosha. HIS divine grace can neutralize the adversities posed by Shani and Rahu. Observing Shivratri thus becomes important to invoke Lord Shiva’s protection.
Upcoming Masik Shivratri with 4 planets conjoined in the sign of Capricorn
Upcoming Masik Shivratri Timings
New York, USA – 8 Feb, 2024
Begins – 12:47 AM, Feb 08
Ends – 09:32 PM, Feb 08
London, UK – 8 Feb, 2024
Begins – 05:47 AM, Feb 08
Ends – 02:32 AM, Feb 09
Chennai, India – 8 Feb, 2024
Begins – 11:17 AM, Feb 08
Ends – 08:02 AM, Feb 09
For local timings download the Cosmic Insights app.
This Masik Shivratri is extremely powerful because there are 4 planets conjoined in the sign of Capricorn.
The sign Capricorn becomes highly active in your birth chart during this time. To understand how this affects you, analyze the house placement of Capricorn in your birth chart and if there are any planets in the sign of Capricorn in your birth chart.
Capricorn, a sign known for its qualities of discipline, pragmatism, and leadership, becomes the meeting ground for Mars, Mercury, the Sun, and the Moon. Each planet brings its unique energy. This is a period of introspection, transformation, and renewal. Hence it a potent day to perform Shivratri rituals and invoke the blessings and protection of Lord Shiva
Monthly Shivratri Rituals
- Listen to/Meditate on Sri Rudram, honoring Lord Shiva through this profound Vedic chant.
- Connect with the divine by chanting “Om Jambukeshwaraya Namah,” honoring Lord Shiva in his Jambukeshwara form.
- Honor Lord Shiva as Bhimashankara by chanting the mantra Om Namah Shivaya Nama Bhimashankaraya. Bimashankara is the Jyorirlinga connected to the sign Capricorn. Lord Shiva is the pratyadi devata (divine energy) of the Sun. Since Sun is in Capricorn along with 3 other planets this mantra protects the aspect of life governed by the sign Capricorn in your birth chart.
- Chant the Panchakshari mantra, “Om Namah Shivaya” – This is an extremely powerful mantra capable of protecting us from the negative effects of all the planets.
- Conduct Rudrabhishekam by pouring water and milk over the Shiva Lingam as a gesture of devotion and seeking divine intervention.
- Embrace generosity through charity, spreading kindness and love.
- Regularly chant “Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya,” amplifying the sanctity of this period.
- Integrate Pranayama and breathwork into daily practices, leveraging the breath’s power to manage anxiety and restlessness caused by the air element.