The full moon on December 7th/8th is dedicated to Lord Dattatreya the combined power of the Hindu Trinity (Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva). For local timings download Cosmic Insights app.
In the Bhagavad Gita (10.35) Lord Krishna says – Of the months, I am Margashira.
This shows the auspiciousness and power of this Vedic month where the full moon falls in the Nakshatra of Mrigashira.
Margashira is the 9th month of the Hindu calendar and the Sun is in the 9th sign of Sagittarius during this time.
The full moon in Margashira is celebrated as Dattatreya Jayanti. This is the day when Lord Dattatreya was enlightened.
Lord Dattareya is the combined energy of Lord Brahma (Creation), Lord Vishnu (Sustenance) and Lord Shiva (Transformation).
Full Moon in Margashira (Dattatreya Jayanti) Rituals
- Chant the mantra – Aum Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya as many times as you possibly can. For personalized rituals based on your own birth chart download the align27 app.
- Read few chapters from Avadhuta Gita and Jivanmukta Gita (Discourses given by Lord Dattatreya).
- Chant the mantra – Dattatreya Hare Krishna 108 times during Moon or Jupiter hora preferably.
- You can do Japa of the mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Dattatreyaya 108 times.
- You can meditate on the Bija or seed sound of Lord Dattatreya which is daaM
- If you are able you can fast today and recite the Satya Narayan Katha which will help to remove all obstacles in your life.
- Charity and donation done on this day gives 32 times more benefits as compared to other days.
To read more about the significance of this special Purnima and personalized rituals download the align27 app.