Makara Sankranti is one of the most celebrated festival in india! It is of great importance astrologically as well as the king of planets – Sun starts his northern movement from the tropic of Capricorn. Makara means Capricorn and Sankranti means beginning of a movement.
Sun travels from one sign to another every month, but this transit from saggitarius to Capricorn is the most auspicious. It is called Uttarayana. The Surya Siddhanta defines Uttarāyaṇa or Uttarayan as the period between the Makara Sankranti (which currently occurs around January 14) and Karka Sankranti (which currently occurs around July 16). The term Uttarayana is derived from two different Sanskrit words “uttara” (North) and “ayana” (movement) thus indicating a semantic of the northward movement of the Earth on the celestial sphere.
Astrologically Sun and Saturn are enemies. According to mythology Sun is the father of the planet Saturn. Though Sun stays for a month in his enemy Saturn’s house (Capricorn ruled by Saturn) it is still considered auspicious. The father and son forget the enemity between them and celebrate the spirit of relationships!
Important Muhurtas (Timings)
Punya Kaal Muhurta – 7.23 am EST to 12.05pm EST
Sankranti Moment – 3.30 am EST
Maha Punya Kaaal Muhurta – 7.23 am EST to 8. 57 am EST
Punya Kaal Muhurta – 2PM IST to 5.57PM IST
Sankranti Moment – 2PM IST
Maha Punya Kaaal Muhurta – 2PM IST TO 2.24PM IST
How to Honor the Sun on Makara Sankranti ?
1. Take a shower just before the Maha Punya Kaal Muhurta and offer arghya by reciting or listening to Sri Aditya Hrudayam Stotram during the Maha Punya Kaal Muhurta.
2. Meditate on your problems and issues for instant divine solution.
3. Recite the Gayatri Mantra
4. Get blessings from your father and fatherly figures in life.
5. Listen to Surya Mandala Stotram given by Lord Krishna to Arjuna.
6. Chant “Om Hraam Hreem Hraum Sah Suryay Namah:” – Beeja mantra for Sun
7. Donation in any form is considered extremely auspicious today!
8. Feed wheat to red ants
9. Drink energized water on copper vessel
10. Surya Namaskar Yoga
11. Remember and Honor your ancestors. Pray to them for their blessings!
Happy Makara Sankranti to everyone from Team Cosmic Insights!
Visit our website – www.cosmicinsightsshop.com
Download our App
iPhone – https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cosmic-insights/id1184918628?mt=8%0A
Android – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gman.vedicastro&hl=en_GB