Shravan month is considered as the most auspicious and holiest month in the hindu scriptures. Worshipping Lord Shiva during this period is extremely powerful.
“Earth is sprinkled with shower in the month of Shravan when millions turn to Shiva; the ultimate Truth and beauty. Adoring the shiva Tattva in the month of Shravan washes away all sins and bestows abundance.”
According to Hindu mythology, poison came out of the sea during Samudra Manthan – battle between the Devas (Gods) and the Asuras (Demons). Lord Shiva rescued them by offering to drink all poison to save mankind. This episode happened during the Shravan month. Lord Shiva’s body temperature increased substantially, so HE wore the Moon on his head which lowered his temperature and the pantheon of Hindu gods started offering Gangajal (Ganga water) to Lord Shiva. It is also believed that Lord Indra (The God of Rains) brought in a lot of rain to reduce Lord Shiva’s temperature which became a reason to pour water on Lord Shiva in the month of Shravan. Since then the Shravan month is celebrated to please Lord Shiva and worship HIM. Water is poured on Lord Shiva during the entire month, especially on Mondays.
Shravan Month Rituals
- Listen to rudram everyday. You can also chant it if you have learned to chant. If not, you can simply play the Sri Rudram, close your eyes and meditate.
- Perform a simple abhishekam for Lord Shiva by offering water, milk, flowers, fruits etc. You can also participate in Rudrabhishekam in temples.
- Chant “Aum Namah Shivaya” 108 times everyday. You can also chant it during “Moon Hora” everyday.
- Wear Rudraksha if you have it and use rudraksha beads for your Japa.
- Meditate and go within – This is the perfect time to go deep with your sadhana and spiritual practices.
- If you can, you may also keep a simple fast on Monday’s.