This is the last Eclipse of the season that began on June 5th where we had a Lunar Eclipse followed by a Solar Eclipse on June 21st.
This Lunar Eclipse is extremely powerful as it coincides with the most auspicious Guru Purnima.
Lunar Eclipse is a powerful time for meditation, contemplation, prayers, mantras, japa and other spiritual practices. It is wise to look within and tune yourself to spiritual vibrations and avoid materialistic pursuits.
This is not a favorable time to make any important decisions such as job change, marriage, moving into a new home, high value purchases, investments etc. Be aware of heightened emotional tides.
Local Timings, Duration and Visibility
Local Type: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse, in New York
Begins: Sat, 4 Jul 2020, 23:07
Maximum: Sun, 5 Jul 2020, 00:29 -0.644 Magnitude
Ends: Sun, 5 Jul 2020, 01:52
Duration: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Lunar Eclipse in Purva Ashada Nakshatra
Purva Ashada Nakshatra falls in the sign of Sagittarius. The power of this Nakshatra is to “energize and invigorate”. The deity associated with it is Apas – The water Goddess. Water is associated with emotions, transformation and cleansing.
So this Eclipse is an amazing time to heal yourself with the power of mantras and chants. When you make time to improve yourself on the day of the Eclipse, it will accelerate the healing of old wounds which can help you transform your life for the better.
The symbol associated with this Nakshatra is a winnowing basket which involves throwing the mixture of grain and chaff into the air, so that the wind blows away the lighter chaff, while the heavier grains fall back down for recovery.
This symbolism captures the essence of this Nakshatra. When you are able to withstand the immense churning and embrace the positive change you will be rewarded. This is the best way to get all our negativity out and step into the new year with enthusiasm and a positive outlook.
If you have planets in Purva Ashada then you have to find out about it’s significance based on the house placement, to know how it will impact you.
Like I said, Eclipses are not always bad, evil or negative. They are periods to lay low and seek within. It is the BEST time for meditation and chanting.
Purva Ashada is a special nakshatra which connects Jupiter (ruler of the sign – Sagittarius) and Venus (ruler of the nakshatra). Jupiter and Venus are the Gurus of the zodiac and represent Brihaspati and Shukracharya. The eclipse happening on Guru Purnima on this Nakshatra makes it a very powerful time to honor your Guru.
Rituals, Guidelines and Remedies
For personalized rituals and mantras that you can chant based on your own birth chart, please download the align27 app. You can also find out about the planets that are impacted in your birth chart during this eclipse and the remedies for the same on the align27 app.
- 3 days before and after an Eclipse avoid making important decisions or starting something new (material life).
- Honor your Guru – This Eclipse is happening on the most auspicious Guru Purnima which is the day to honor and feel grateful for our spiritual lineage and tradition. You can chant the Veda Vyas mantra for protection.
- Rejoice in the works of Jagad Guru Adi Shankaracharya. His chants are available on the Sattva App.
- Worship Lord Dattatreya.
- Listen to or meditate on the Vishnu Sahasranama.
- Chant the apah suktam while holding water in a cup and then drink that water to imbibe the positive energy of the mantra. Do this before the Eclipse and not during the Eclipse.
- If you can, please fast for the duration of the Eclipse. Especially if the Eclipse is visible in your locality.
- Take a shower after the Eclipse and during your shower keep chanting the below mantra to cleanse your self and for purification.
“गङ्गे च यमुने चैव गोदावरि सरस्वति ।
नर्मदे सिन्धु कावेरि जलेऽस्मिन् संनिधिं कुरु ॥
Gangge Ca Yamune Caiva Godaavari Sarasvati |
Narmade Sindhu Kaaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru ||
- Worship the 25th form of Lord Ganesha associated with this Nakshatra – Rinamochana Ganapati.
- The animal associated with the nakshatra is monkey – so please chant Hanuman chalisa and read stories related to Lord Hanuman’s devotion and courage. We have a lot of posts about Lord Hanuman on the Cosmic Insights Blog.
- You can worship and Honor the Ashoka tree which is related to Purva Ashadha nakshatra. If you happen to find a tree you can circumambulate it or water it. If not, you can look at the pictures of this tree read about its history and significance on the internet.
- Find the RISHI associated with your birth chart, this is available in the Spirituality section of Cosmic Insights app. You can pray to that Rishi during Jupiter hora on Guru Purnima for blessings and protection.
- The elephant’s tusk is associated with this nakshatra which brings about the connection of Lord Ganesha and Purva Ashada nakshatra – so chanting Ganesha Mantras (during, before and after the Eclipse) and making liquid desserts as an offering to Lord Ganesha (after Eclipse hours) will be extremely powerful. Your personal Ganesha mantra is available on the align27 app.
- The elephant tusk has a miraculous power to grow automatically when you cut it – this signifies that the wisdom that you can gain by reading the scriptures when the moon or any other planet transiting this nakshatra cannot be taken away from you. So Eclipse is a powerful time to read scriptures like Bhagavad Gita, Ashtavakra Gita, Patanjali Yoga Sutras, Bhakti Sutras, etc..
- Do not eat food that is exposed to the Eclipse, please cook fresh food after the Eclipse.
- Chant “Vishnu, Vishnu, Vishnu” before you drink or eat anything. Make this a daily habit.
- Donate – donation done during Eclipse times is extremely powerful and beneficial so do not limit yourself in what you can do to help people without expecting anything in return.
- Honor your ancestors – Pray for them, be grateful to them, and seek their blessings and help.
Get initiated into the Sudarshan Kriya
It is wise to look within and tune yourself to spiritual vibrations and avoid materialistic pursuits during the time of Eclipses. The Sun and the Moon are in perfect alignment conducive for spiritual initiations.
We at Cosmic Insights are working with the Art of Living foundation to organize online meditation courses during this time. Since this is an extremely powerful time for spiritual pursuits, we highly recommend you to join us on the Online Happiness Program where you will be initiated into the most miraculous Sudarshan Kriya.
If you would like to learn more about this contact me.
To know how this Eclipse affects you check the align27 app.
- Check if you have any planets in Sagittarius and Gemini- if you do, then check their lordships and conjunctions to make sense of what you can expect during this time.
- Check if you have your Arudha Lagna in the above mentioned positions.
- If you have your natal rahu ketu in the Gemini/Sagittarius axis then this is a nodal return for you. Please be patient and do not rush into things during this eclipse season.
- Check if you are going through Dasha/Antar dasha of either Sun, Moon, Rahu, Ketu or any planet that is in Marana Karaka Sthana.
- Check the Ashtakavarga scores of the signs where Sagittarius and Gemini fall in your chart.
- Use the Nadi Nakshatras or Detailed Tarabala Table to see where Purva Ashada, Mula and Ardra nakshatras occurs in your chart and what does that signify. For example if you have Purva Ashada as your Karma nakshatra then you may have to be careful with the work/job you are doing.
- If one of the above Nakshatras is your Abhisheka nakshatra then performing abhishekam for Lord Shiva is extremely effective for you at this time.
Do not surround yourself with people who are negative during the time of eclipses. Associate yourself with people who are vibrant and positive. Do not feel any “Lack” in your life. The energies during eclipse are very strong, so feel positive and grateful for everything you have and stop your complaining mind with Japa, meditation and spiritual sadhana. If you are looking for prosperity in your life, then Eclipse is the perfect time to align with prosperity instead of focusing our attention on what we do not have.